Our purpose at NAKAI is ‘Make a Difference in the Lives of Our Guests’. We also want to make a difference in the world around us!
An Adaptation of the 1978 Star Thrower story
A man was walking along the beach watching a child lean down and throw something into the sea. He asked the child what he was doing and the child replied that he was returning washed up starfish to the ocean before they died. The man looked at the hundreds of starfish and miles of beach ahead and said, “But there are so many, how will it make a difference?” The child turned and tossed another starfish into the cool water and said, “I made a difference to that one.”
NAKAI believes in giving back to our communities, both globally and locally. We commit to giving back at least 1% of all retail sales to our communities. We do this through hosting events, donating gift cards and gifts, and providing our employees with a paid community volunteering program.
We know that every small act we perform contributes to building a better world. We make a difference! NAKAI’s pillar charity that we partner with is Charity: Water.
There is No LIFE Without WATER.
NAKAI is proud to partner with Charity: Water. Charity: Water is a non-profit aid organization focused on providing clean water to people in need around the world. 1-in-10 people lack access to clean water.
Charity: Water is on a mission to change that. 663 million people in the world live without clean water. Or, twice the population of the United States. The majority live in isolated rural areas and spend hours every day walking to collect water for their family. Not only does walking for water keep children out of school or take up time that parents could be using to earn money, but the water often carries diseases that can make everyone sick.
But access to clean water means education, income and health—especially for women and kids.
100% of the private donations that are provided to Charity: Water go to bringing clean water to people in need.
To assist in their mission, NAKAI donates:
- $0.50 from the sale of each glass of wine
- $2 from the sale of each bottle of wine
- All proceeds from one of our annual wine tasting and auction events
- 100% of targeted donations made by NAKAI guests and artists
You can help by making a targeted donation at one of our locations, attending an event, or even just having a glass of wine during your next visit!
To learn more about Charity: Water, visit their website.
Aveda Earth Month
As we are Aveda spa/salons, we are proud to actively participate in raising funds to support Aveda Earth Month environmental programs and causes.
NAKAI has partnered with Aveda from the very beginning in 2006. We are proud of the products they make and are honoured that we can both use them in our services and sell them to our guests for home care.
We partner with Aveda for more than the products they make but also because of their mission and values. Aveda, like NAKAI, aims to give back to the global community. They do this through their Earth Fund, in the way they source their ingredients, and how they manufacture them using 100% wind power.
Contributing to Aveda’s annual Earth Month campaign allows us to give back, both locally and globally, through this amazing organization. Earth Month is every April. Please help us contribute by attending one of our Earth Month events, making a donation to our Pebbles of Hope campaign or buying a special Earth Month product.
Pebbles of Hope
NAKAI locations also have a Pebbles of Hope Program. This program allows us to raise funds for local causes through a donation by our guests at checkout. We support up to four Pebbles of Hope Campaigns every year at each NAKAI location.
NAKAI has had the honour of supporting hundreds of charities in our local communities over the years. We are thrilled to be able to support the causes that are near and dear to the hearts of our loyal guests.
A small selection of those we have supported include:
- Canadian Cancer Society of NB
- CIBC Run For The Cure
- Wine Women & Wellness (Bronze Sponsor)
- Capitol Theater – Moncton
- United Way
- PGI Golf Tournament for Literacy
- Southeast Regional Health Authority
- Divine Divas – Saint John
- Greater Saint John Hospital Foundation
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital – Charlottetown
- Anderson House – Charlottetown
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Charlottetown
- Various youth programs, community events and local family causes
NAKAI believes in giving back to the communities we serve through our donations program. We provide donations in the form of gift cards for services or gift baskets of products. If there is a donation request that you would like us to consider, please send an email to email@example.com.
Please ensure that the email contains the following:
- Date of the event
- A concise description, including purpose and objectives, and the goal you are aiming to achieve
- Amount and type of request (gift card or products)
- Contact person and their contact information.
- A valid Canadian charity / not-for-profit number as used by the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Preferred NAKAI location where you will pick up the donation–Moncton or Saint John
All requests will be evaluated by our management team.
- The request must be made at least four weeks prior to pick-up date.
- A valid Canadian Charity / not-for-profit number as used by the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Charity demonstrates sound and responsible financial policies and management
- Charity benefits the local communities serviced by the locations of NAKAI
- Charity is non-discriminatory in nature and is supported by NAKAI’s philosophies and values
- There are still funds available in the quarterly donation budget for the location
- Preference will be provided to requests that come from NAKAI loyal guests
Requests must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.