NAKAI Moncton & NAKAI Saint John are luxurious urban retreats designed to relax the body and recharge the mind. NAKAI’s mission is to Go Above and Beyond for Every Guest, Every Moment. Our Artists provide outstanding spa, salon and registered massage experiences, using wonderful products in fabulous environments. Come and experience the NAKAI difference – you’ll be amazed!
NAKAI Group was founded in 2006 and, thanks to our amazing and loyal guests, has been expanding ever since. NAKAI is a family owned business that strives to create Above & Beyond Experiences for our guests.NAKAI Group owns and operates two locations of NAKAI Spa Salon Studio in the Maritimes. NAKAI Moncton (Originally ESCAPE Spa Salon Studio) and NAKAI Saint John.
The name NAKAI is very near and dear to the owners as it is a combination of their children’s names -NAthan and KAIa. Incidentally, NAKAI also means Central Well in Japanese – a wonderful gathering place.
Although each is unique, all locations of NAKAI Spa Salon Studio are luxurious urban retreats designed to relax the body and recharge the mind. All NAKAI locations are either AVEDA Concept or AVEDA Lifestyle Salon/Spas.
NAKAI Moncton was the first to open – in 2006. Until 2011 it was known as ESCAPE Spa Salon Studio. It underwent an official name change to align with the rest of the Group. NAKAI Saint John opened in 2009 at the East Point Shopping Centre next to Indigo Books & Music.
The Spas offer a wide range of world-inspired treatments aimed to relax and rejuvenate the body, mind and spirit. Massages, face and body treatments, aromatherapy, and hand and foot care are just a few of the treatment services NAKAI creates for guests. The Spa uses quality Aveda products in all services.
Between the locations, NAKAI has 15 private treatment rooms (including 3 luxurious couples suites) where we focus on skin and body care with services such as facials, body wraps and glows, massages and hair removal.
NAKAI also has Manicure/Pedicure studios in each location. Come with a friend, make new friends, or relax in silence – the choice is yours. Our pedicure chairs will relax you while the warm water and massage soothes your feet. Let our Artists create experiences that will keep you coming back for more.
Our Hair Designers use their up-to-date knowledge to consult and design cuts, styles and colours that will feed your confidence and enhance your beauty. The urban chic style of the NAKAI Salons serve to inspire our designers to greater creativity. The Salon uses quality Aveda products. These natural and highly effective products are a refreshing alternative to the synthetic, harsh choices that are predominant in many salons.
The Registered Massage Therapists at NAKAI use their expertise, and knowledge to assess and treat the soft tissues of the body. At NAKAI, all this is done in an atmosphere conducive to relaxation. We use the power of touch to balance, relax, and release tension resulting in reduced feelings of stress, pain relief, increased limb function and improved sleep quality. Our RMTs use a variety of techniques based on thorough consultation.
Our stylish Infinity Lounges offer a place to relax and unwind – both before and after your services. You can enjoy a glass of wine, sparkling wine, beer, Aveda Comforting Tea or Water of the Moment from our Lounge Menu or just watch bubbles in the water wall while the polish on your toes dries.
The spaces are also used for unique parties and gatherings such as birthdays, anniversaries, wedding and baby showers, and corporate team building.
NAKAI Boutiques are a great place to find quality Aveda skin care, body care, hair care, and aroma products. We also feature OPI nail polishes and the Buck Naked line of natural soaps, bath bombs and salts.
If you are looking for a gift – for yourself or someone else – look no further. NAKAI carries many unique gifts and spa accessories including Warm Buddy products.
If you aren’t sure what to get, allow us to customize a gift basket or help you select the perfect package of spa services to put on a gift card.
Come experience the NAKAI difference – you’ll be amazed!
Look no further than NAKAI for all your corporate events, team building and corporate gift-giving.
NAKAI would be happy to host your office party, team building, or charity event. We can arrange for full services, mini moments of wellness or even a wine-tasting in our licensed Infinity Lounge. Call your NAKAI location to speak to an event planner today.
The gift of Balance and Beauty is the perfect way to show your appreciation of loyal clients and dedicated team members. NAKAI can put together gift bags, boxes or baskets full of Aveda and other Spa products. Perfect for all your corporate holiday gift-giving needs!
Don’t know what to get your employees for the Holidays, Retirement, Special Achievements and other important milestones? NAKAI can provide you with Gift Cards of any denomination of at least $30.These Gift Cards can be used toward any NAKAI services or products. Purchase $1000 worth of Gift Cards and receive a complimentary additional $100 Gift Card (not valid for online gift card purchases).
Want to treat your employees to some relaxation and reviving at work? NAKAI professionals will visit your place of business to offer on-site nail, massage and hair services. Prices start at $120 per hour.
Awards and Recognition
2014 – Profit 500 Canada’s Fastest Growing Companies (#169)
2014 – W100 Canada’s Top Female Entrepreneurs (#44)
2013 – W100 Canada’s Top Female Entrepreneurs (#70)
2012 – RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur Awards, Eastern Canada Finalist
2011 – RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur Awards, Eastern Canada Finalist
Our Purpose at NAKAI is ‘Make a Difference in the Lives of Our Guests’. We also want to make a difference in the world around us!
An Adaptation of the 1978 Star Thrower story
A man was walking along the beach watching a child lean down and throw something into the sea. He asked the child what he was doing and the child replied that he was returning washed up starfish to the ocean before they died. The man looked at the hundreds of starfish and miles of beach ahead and said: “But there are so many, how will it make a difference?” The child turned and tossed another starfish into the cool water and said: “it made a difference to that one”.
NAKAI believes in Giving Back to our communities – both global and local. We commit to giving back at least 1% of all Retail Sales to our communities. We do this through hosting events, donating gift cards and gifts, and providing our employees with a Paid Community Volunteering program.
As we are Aveda Spa/Salons, we are proud to actively participate in raising funds to support Aveda Earth Month Environmental programs and causes.
NAKAI locations also have a Pebbles of Hope Program. This program allows us to raise funds for local causes through a donation by our guests at check-out. We support up to 4 Pebbles of Hope Campaigns every year at each NAKAI location.
NAKAI has had the honour of supporting hundreds of charities in our local communities over the years.
We are thrilled to be able to support the causes that are near and dear to the hearts of our loyal guests.
A small selection of those we have supported include:
Canadian Cancer Society of NB
- CIBC Run For The Cure
- Wine Women & Wellness (Bronze Sponsor)
- Capitol Theater – Moncton
- United Way
- PGI Golf Tournament for Literacy
- Southeast Regional Health Authority
- Divine Divas – Saint John
- Greater Saint John Hospital Foundation
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital – Charlottetown
- Anderson House – Charlottetown
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Charlottetown
- Various youth programs, community events and local family causes
NAKAI believes in Giving Back to the communities we serve through our Donations Program. We are honoured to contribute to the causes that are near and dear to our NAKAI guests. We provide donations in the form of Gift Cards for Services or Gift Baskets of Products. If there is a donation request that you would like us to consider, please send an email to email@example.com
Please ensure that the email contains the following:
Date of the event.
A concise description, including purpose and objectives, and the goal you are aiming to achieve.
Amount and type of request (Gift Card or Products).
Contact person and their contact information.
A valid Canadian Charity / Not-For-Profit Number as used by the Canada Revenue Agency.
Preferred NAKAI Location where you will pick up the donation – Moncton or Saint John
All requests will be evaluated by our Management Team.
- The request is being made at least 4 weeks prior to Pick-Up date.
- A valid Canadian Charity / Not-For-Profit Number as used by the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Charity demonstrates sound and responsible financial policies and management.
- Charity benefits the local communities serviced by the locations of NAKAI.
- Charity is non-discriminatory in nature and is supported by NAKAI’s philosophies and values.
- There are still funds available in the quarterly donation budget for the location.
- Preference will be provided to requests that come from NAKAI loyal guests.
Requests must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.
Aveda Earth Month
NAKAI has partnered with Aveda from the very beginning in 2006. We are proud of the products they make and are honoured that we can both use them in our services and sell them to our Guests for Home Care.
We partner with Aveda for more than the products they make but also because of their mission and values. Aveda, like NAKAI, aims to give back to the global community. They do this through their Earth Fund, in the way they source their ingredients, and how they manufacture them using 100% Wind Power.
Contributing to Aveda’s Annual Earth Month campaign allows us to give-back – both locally and globally – through this amazing organization. Earth Month is April. Please help us contribute by attending one of our Earth Month Events, making a donation to our Pebbles of Hope campaign or buying a special Earth Month Product.
Connecting beauty, environment and well-being.
Our mission at Aveda is to care for the world we live in, from the products we make to the ways in which we give back to society. At Aveda, we strive to set an example for environmental leadership and responsibility, not just in the world of beauty, but around the world.
There is No LIFE Without WATER
NAKAI is proud to partner with Charity: Water. Charity: Water is a non-profit aid organization focused on providing clean water to people in need around the world. 1 in 10 people lack access to clean water.
Charity: Water is on a mission to change that.
663 million people in the world live without clean water. That’s nearly 1 in 10 people worldwide. Or, twice the population of the United States. The majority live in isolated rural areas and spend hours every day walking to collect water for their family. Not only does walking for water keep children out of school or take up time that parents could be using to earn money, but the water often carries diseases that can make everyone sick.
But access to clean water means education, income and health – especially for women and kids.
100% of the private donations that are provided to Charity: Water go to bring clean water to people in need.
To Assist in their mission, NAKAI Donates:
- $0.50 from the sale of each glass of wine
- $2 from the sale of each bottle of wine
- All Proceeds from one of our Annual Wine Tasting & Auction Events
- 100% of targeted donations made by NAKAI Guests & Artists
You can help by making a targeted donation at one of our locations, attending an event, or even just having a glass of wine during your next visit!
To learn more about Charity: Water, visit the website at https://www.charitywater.org
Make the Best of Your NAKAI Experience!
Hours of Operation
See Contact for the hours of operation for each location.
To avoid disappointment, please make your reservations well in advance – especially if you are booking a group, multiple services or would like your experience during peak times (evenings and weekends). We require credit card or NAKAI gift card guarantees for the majority of bookings. Cards will not be charged until the time of the service or until the Cancellation Policy requirements have not been met.
When booking services, please advise us of any health conditions, pregnancy, allergies or injuries that could impact your experience.
Certain medical conditions, drug protocols and recent surgeries may not be compatible with certain spa treatments. It is your responsibility to discuss any concerns you may have with your medical doctor and notify your Service Provider.
Please arrive 15 – 20 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to allow time to submit guest information, change, and unwind in our Infinity Lounge. We respect the time of all of our guests. Arriving after your scheduled time will shorten the duration of your service so that the appointment of the next guest is not delayed.
Please keep in mind that your scheduled time is reserved for you and the Service Provider. We understand that sometimes your schedule changes and you are no longer able to keep your appointment. We ask that you please provide us with at least 24 hours notice (48 hours for multiple service bookings) should you need to cancel or change your appointment. If less notice is provided, and we are unable to fill your appointment time, a cancellation fee equal to the cost of booked services will be charged to your credit or gift card.
Special Requests for Service Providers
All of NAKAI’s professionals are highly trained and certified. We understand that you may have special requests for Service Providers and we will endeavour to accommodate. We cannot guarantee a particular request, however, as changes in staffing may occur (illness, leaves, turnover, etc.) that are out of our control, thus reducing the availability of providers on a given day.
All of NAKAI’s professionals are highly trained and will ensure your safety and comfort while providing you with the ultimate experience. Our Service Providers will ensure you are discreetly draped during all of our body treatments and massages. Please communicate your wishes with our Artists (i.e. music level, lighting, massage pressure, etc.). When receiving body treatments, please undress to your level of comfort. If your treatment includes a rainfall shower, feel free to bring a bathing suit if that would make you more comfortable.
Our goal at NAKAI is to reduce your stress in a short period of time. We recommend that you disconnect from home and work life while you are with us. To respect the quiet and privacy of the other guests and to enhance your own relaxation, we ask that you refrain from using your cell phone or electronic device in any way that is going to disrupt another guest (vibration, ringing, alarm, talking, viewing of video, etc.).
We use iPod/MP3 docking stations in the individual service rooms. Please feel free to bring your own MP3 player and have your personal music selections played through our speakers to create the ultimate custom experience.
The Spa areas of NAKAI are organized for the comfort and relaxation of adults. Therefore, for their safety and the comfort of other guests, children under the age of 12 are not permitted – as guests or accompanying their parents. However, NAKAI offers Little Royals Sundays every 12 weeks where children 4 – 12 years of age receive mini services perfectly suited to them. Check our Social Media pages for more information on these special events. Supervised children are always welcome in the Boutique and as guests receiving services in the NAKAI Salon.
Gratuities are typically left to the discretion of our guests. For reference purposes, it is customary to provide an 18 – 20% gratuity for salon, spa and massage services if your expectations were met. Gift cards do not include gratuity so it is left to the discretion of the gift card user to leave a gratuity. An automatic gratuity of 18% will be added to all group bookings of 3 Guests or more.
As NAKAI encourages a team working environment, any gratuity left is split 90% to the Guest’s Service Provider(s) and 10% to the Guest Care Team. If the Guest would like to change the split percentages, it is at their discretion.
Thank you in advance for the privilege of taking care of you.
The New Normal in Caring for You
Both NAKAI Locations are now re-open.
Each has new hours of operation.
NAKAI Moncton: Sunday to Saturday from 10am – 8pm
NAKAI Saint John: Tuesday to Saturday from 10am – 8pm
Procedures & Protocols
At NAKAI, we are working hard to ensure the safety of our Artists our Guests and our communities.
As we continue to manage through this pandemic, we have developed and will regularly update our ‘New Normal’ Operations Plan. This Plan was prepared with reference to the guidance provided by the Province of New Brunswick, the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health, and WorkSafe NB. We have also incorporated the recommendations and requirements set forth by the CANB and CMTNB Associations which oversee the licensing of our business and our Hairdressers, Estheticians and Registered Massage Therapists.
This Plan will change as Provincial and Association Guidance changes and as we increase our operations.
PREPARING FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT
Thank you for trusting us by making an appointment at NAKAI. We will not disappoint you. Here is what you need to know:
- We have staggered appointments. This will alleviate having too many Guests checking in together. Please arrive no more than 5 minutes before the start time of your appointment.
- When you arrive come on in.
- If your Service Provider is not ready to serve you, you will be asked to wait outside as our Lounge is not currently available.
- We will let you know when to come back in.
- Wear a clean mask (it must loop behind the ears for Salon services)
- If you do not have one, or if your mask is not clean, one will be provided to you for a charge (as supplies last).
- For haircut and hair colour guests we suggest bringing 2 masks as hair clippings may fall into your mask or colour may get onto the mask during the service. Having a fresh mask to change into may be preferable for you.
- Expect to have your temperature taken and a screening questionnaire completed with you.
- You will be asked to sanitize your hands. You can also sanitize any other objects you bring in with you (i.e. phone, keys etc.).
- We ask that you do not bring coats, bags, or large handbags with you. Lockers and Hangers/Hooks will not be available.
- For Hair Services, Manis, Pedis, Facial Waxing, Tinting and Lashes: Whatever you bring will need to fit and remain in your lap during the service.
- For Massages, Body Treatments, Facials and Body Waxing Services: You will be asked to change in the treatment room and you will place your clothing and belongings in a personal storage container that will be kept in the room with you for the duration of your service.
- Please come alone, no additional guests will be permitted with you at your appointment.
- Although they will not be able to greet you with a hug or handshake, your Service Provider will be in your NAKAI Bubble and will stay with you at all times. They will ensure that you remain 6 feet apart from other Guests, they will help you shop for products, and they will pre-book you for your next appointment.
- All of the stations we are using are at least 6 feet apart from one another and we have added the extra protection of plexiglass and/or shields for our face to face Services.
- If you would like to avoid check-out completely, we suggest pre-paying for your appointment. Adding the industry average 18% gratuity would be appreciated.
- If you have 2 or more of the following symptoms, please self-isolate, call 811 and call us to cancel your appointment for now: Fever above 38°C/100.4°F, new or worsening cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache, new onset fatigue, new onset muscle pain, diarrhea, loss of taste, loss of smell.
- If your appointment is within 14 days of travel outside of New Brunswick or to Zone 5 (Campbellton Area) and you do not have a written exemption that you can bring on the day of your appointment, please self isolate and reschedule your appointment.
- If you have had contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 within 14 days of your appointment, please self isolate and reschedule your appointment.
OUR TEAM COMMITS TO:
- Undergo health and travel screening before every shift.
- Have their temperatures checked before each shift. Temperatures are required to be rechecked every 5 hours and/or every time the Artist re-enters the location.
- Always wear a mask.
- Wear a shield or be behind a barrier for face-to-face interactions.
- As always, clean and disinfect all tools and implements with medical-grade disinfectant before and after every appointment.
- As always, clean and disinfect all stations, surfaces and treatment rooms before and after every guest appointment.
- As always, wash their hands before and after every appointment and often throughout the day.
- As always, change linens after every guest.
LIMITED SERVICE AVAILABILTY
We have staggered appointments. This will alleviate having too many Guests checking in together. Our Lounge is not currently available, and we will be refraining from booking the following services, so we can safely distance our Artists and our Guests:
- Couples Treatments in our Couples Suites
- Traditional Group Appointments
- Traditional Packages
- Little Royals Day
We understand that all of this is overwhelming. Please remember that our Purpose of ‘Make a Difference in the Lives of Our Guests, Our Artists and Our Communities’ and our Wildly Important Goal of ‘Go Above & Beyond for Every Guest, Every Moment’ have not changed! NAKAI and our amazing Artists will do everything they can to continue to build relationships and deliver experiences to you in this ‘New Normal’. We ask for your continued patience, kindness, and understanding.
In wellness & beauty,
Sharon, Melanie & Team NAKAI
join our team
NAKAI Group owns and operates two locations of NAKAI Spa Salon Studio in the Maritimes. NAKAI Moncton and NAKAI Saint John. At NAKAI, we place a great deal of importance on assembling the best team possible. We hire motivated people, train them to perform their jobs superbly and create a working environment where they can flourish – guided by passionately held goals, beliefs and principles. NAKAI can offer what many spa, massage and salon professionals dream of – an opportunity to build a lifelong career that has both growth potential and a real sense of pride in work well done.
NAKAI Artists make the difference for our guests by creatively demonstrating our culture of service excellence. It is this culture that sets us apart; an intangible quality that keeps our valued guests returning again and again and drives us to deliver the best guest experiences in the industry.
If you are passionate about providing ultimate customer experiences; have a positive attitude and high expectations for yourself; are interested in helping to continuously build yourself and an amazing organization with a great working environment, and; have the qualifications and experience for one of our positions, we would like to hear from you.
- Full-Time & Part-Time Aestheticians
- Full-Time & Part-Time Nail Technicians
- Full-Time & Part-Time RMTs
- Full-Time & Part-Time Hair Stylists / Colourists
- Full-Time & Part-Time Guest Care Advisors
Candidates must be goal oriented, flexible, reliable, learning-minded, passionate about keeping up with the current trends and styles, and able to work days, evenings, and weekends. Aveda knowledge and bilingualism would be an asset.
We often post position descriptions on Indeed. Please visit NAKAI Spa Salon Studio Careers for more information.
- Competitive compensation packages
- Incentive and Bonus plans
- Comprehensive Health Benefits Plan
- Training and promotional opportunities
- Product and service discounts
- Volunteering Program
- Great perquisites
- An amazing environment where we have the privilege of making Guests feel relaxed and stress-free
Please send a resume (preferably with an introduction letter explaining why you would like to work at NAKAI) to email@example.com In the Subject Line of the email, please state the location and position for which you are applying, and whether you are interested in part-time or full-time employment.
While we appreciate the interest of all candidates, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.